Beware of Fraud
Immigration fraud is a common problem. Don’t become a victim of dishonest immigration consultants often known as “notarios”.
To avoid fraud, follow these general guidelines:
- Do not pay money to anyone to help you apply for Citizenship.
- Do not pay to be put on a “waiting list” – there is no list.
- Never pay for a form – all application materials are free from USCIS.
- Do not hire an immigration lawyer who doesn’t have a license – ask to see his/her license. Find licensed immigration attorneys here.
- Never sign an application that contains false information, and do not to sign blank forms.
- Always get a copy or government filing receipt whenever anything is submitted in your case.
- Get written contracts and make sure you receive a receipt especially if you pay cash.
- Don’t let anyone “find” you a sponsor or spouse to get you a green card – it’s illegal.
- Choose a trusted source of immigration information in Houston.